There is a veritable geyser of data tracking housing today. From existing-home sales, to house prices, to new-home permits, to starts—housing metrics abound.
Professional Builder 2013 40 Under 40 Awards
An Olympic-caliber rower, former professional boxer, award-winning chili cook, and cat trainer are among home building’s young superstars to be named 40 Under 40 winners for 2013 by the editors of Professional Builder magazine.
Chad Scott, 33
President, T.A. Scott Construction, Schoolcraft, Mich.
• BS, Business Management, Western Michigan University
• Became president in 2009 of company his father started in 1976
• Won “Best Landscaping Elements” in $500,001-$700,000 category in 2012 Parade of Homes
• Manages and develops Boardwalk at Swing Bridge, a waterfront luxury living community between beaches of Douglas and city of Saugatuck
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: golfing, taking the pontoon for a cruise on the lake, and going for a run with his dog
• Can’t live without: His dog, Puppers, who has accompanied him to work every day for 11 years
• Getaway spot: “Lake Michigan. We have some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, and they’re right at our doorstep.”
• Mom babysat actor Verne Troyer when Troyer was a child
Kimberly Shortt, 27
Vice President, Kimco Construction, Inc., Englewood, Fla.
• BS, Business Management, University of South Florida
• Certified building contractor
• Certified real estate sales associate
• Constructed custom single-family residence that earned Platinum LEED certification from USGBC
• Helped rebuild Manasota Beach Pavilion in Englewood in 2007 after vandals set fire to it during Thanksgiving weekend in 2006
• Passed test for Florida State Certified Building Contractor’s License on first try
• Member, National Realtors Association; Englewood on the Gulf Women’s Council of Realtors; Young Professionals; Toastmasters
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: being outdoors and trying new restaurants
• Favorite flick: “'My Girl.’ Although I cry every time I watch it, I think it is a very genuine story about friendships and life.”
• Preferred authors: Jodi Picoult and James Patterson
• Has slipped into a fire suit, put on a helmet, and drove a 100-lap race in a sportsman class stock car race and finished with no accidents
David Sinkey, 34
President, Managing Director, Boulder Creek Builders, Louisville, Colo.
• BS, Business Administration, University of Colorado
• Led sales revenue increase of more than 200 percent and closing revenue increase of nearly 300 percent in 2012
• Fostered deal to bring Boulder Creek’s right-sized patio homes to Stapleton Denver—the ninth best-selling community in the U.S.
• Received Silver Achievement Award for “Best Detached Home On the Boards” from 50+ Housing Council during 2012 NAHB International Builders’ Show
• Member, Colorado Association of Home Builders; Louisville Downtown Business Association
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: Anything outdoors with family—boating, fishing, flying, skiing, and water sports
• Favorite flick: “'The Usual Suspects.’ I like a complex story with a twist.”
• Getaway spot: Lake Powell
• Wife owns a dance studio, so he can be found tap dancing at least once a week
Michael Sullivan, 30
Principal, Sullivan Development Group, LLC, Los Gatos, Calif.
• BS, Business Administration, California Polytechnic State University
• Founded own company and now manages more than 1,200 units under development (entitlements and pre-construction) in San Francisco Bay area
• Played key role in working with Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority to obtain and negotiate easements for extension of Bay Area transportation system
• Took active role in not only processing and obtaining city approvals but also working with construction department to ensure smooth hand-offs
• Volunteer, Boys and Girls Club
OFF THE CLOCK
• Played competitive ice hockey for eight years
• Hobbies: mountain biking, riding motorcycle (owns a Kawasaki 636 Ninja), running, tennis, and golf
• Favorite flick: any Will Ferrell movie
• Sold everything he owned in 2005, bought a one-way ticket to Ireland, and backpacked through 25 countries