There is a veritable geyser of data tracking housing today. From existing-home sales, to house prices, to new-home permits, to starts—housing metrics abound.
Professional Builder 2013 40 Under 40 Awards
An Olympic-caliber rower, former professional boxer, award-winning chili cook, and cat trainer are among home building’s young superstars to be named 40 Under 40 winners for 2013 by the editors of Professional Builder magazine.
Jeff Morrow, 39
Program Manager, Lend Lease, Nashville, Tenn.
• BS, Building Construction Management; MS, Building Construction Management, Purdue University
• Certified Green Professional
• Part of team that built more than 1,200 new homes and renovated more than 1,000 homes during seven-year period at Ft. Campbell, Ky.
• Led efforts to design and build first known zero-energy duplex in military installation at Ft. Campbell
• Selected out of 17,000 employees worldwide as excellence award winner for being environmental leader of the year
• Assistant Cubmaster
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: traveling, scouting, playing clarinet, saxophone, and hand bells
• Can live without: seasonal allergies
• Getaway spot: Cape Hatteras, N.C. “I proposed to my wife at the top of the lighthouse there.”
• Can play theme from “The Lone Ranger” on his cheeks
Ryan Nash, 29
Product Development Director, DSLD Homes, Denham Springs, La.
• BS, Construction Engineering Technology, University of Southern Mississippi
• Designed and implemented DSLD’s field guide program, which integrates visual scopes of work documents in each phase of construction
• Designed and implemented DSLD’s energy efficiency program, which has been integrated in more than 2000 homes in the last three years
• Designed and conducted iPad training for all field personnel and entire management team
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: snowboarding, scuba diving, fishing, aviation, and playing with his children
• Favorite flick: “'Forrest Gump.’ It recounts what I find to be an interesting era in our nation’s history, and it is set to a great soundtrack.”
• Getaway spot: Aspen, Colo.
• Favorite food: Drago’s char-grilled oysters
• He, his grandfather, father, both uncles, and brother are all pilots
Marnie Oursler, 35
President, Founder, Marnie Homes, Inc., Bethany Beach, Del.
• BS, BEng, Information Technology, Education, East Carolina University
• Candidate for MBA Cross-Continent Program, Duke University
• Founded Marnie Homes, which builds high-end, custom beach houses, in 2007
• Built first certified LEED home in Delaware in 2009
• Increased annual revenue from $450,000 in 2007 to more than $3.5 million in 2011
• Built home constructed of 95 percent American-made materials in 2012
• Founder, The Angel Breaks Foundation
• Member, National Association of Custom Home Builders; Bethany-Fenwick Chamber of Commerce
OFF THE CLOCK
• Hobbies: going to the beach, exercising, triathlons, and swimming in the ocean
• Favorite flick: “'The Goonies.’ It reminds me of being young and carefree. I always want to stay young at heart.”
• Favorite food: McDonald’s French fries
• Great, great grandfather built the Delaware Memorial Bridge
Josh Pertnoy, 32
Principal, Construction Division, Shapiro-Pertnoy Companies, West Palm Beach, Fla.
• Licensed general contractor
• Began working full time for Shapiro-Pertnoy at age 19
• Oversees staff of 15 full-time construction personnel and manages multiple, simultaneous projects
• Managed planning and construction of 30,000-square-foot waterfront residence in Jupiter, Fla.
• Participates in company’s MLK Day of Service by visiting group homes for handicapped and mentally challenged adults
• Member, Jewish Federation of Palm Beach County
OFF THE CLOCK
• Plays guitar and sings in local band, which plays primarily original music
• Favorite flick: “'The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,’ because it’s a perfect analogy for the construction industry.”
• Getaway spot: The Exumas, Bahamas, “especially because my phone does not work there.”
• Loves to ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle up Florida’s east coast on weekends