Recent Changes Could Help Builders

Printer-friendly versionSend by email

Two provisions of recently passed federal legislation could reduce the tax bill for home builders, according to global accounting and tax advisory firm Grant Thornton.

January 01, 2003

Annual recovery for a new $100,000 bulldozer under bonus depreciation schedule versus former depreciation schedule
Bonus Schedule
Former Schedule
Year 1
$44,000
$20,000
Year 2
$22,400
$32,000
Year 3
$13,440
$19,200
Year 4
$8,064
$11,520
Year 5
$8,064
$11,520
Year 6
$4,032
$5,760
Source: Grant Thorton

Two provisions of recently passed federal legislation could reduce the tax bill for home builders, according to global accounting and tax advisory firm Grant Thornton.

In the company;s BuildingBusiness newsletter, Thornton tax partner Todd Taggart says the Job Creation and Worker Assistance Act of 2002 has features on bonus depreciation and extension of the net operating loss carryback period that offer potential savings for many construction contractors.

"Eligible contractors can take the 30% bonus depreciation in year one and depreciate the remaining 70% using the normal depreciation schedule," Taggart says. He adds that contractors considering whether to lease or buy equipment should explore how this provision applies to each option.

Of the net operating loss carryback extension, Taggart observes, "Extending the carryback to a five-year period has opened up a lot of these previously closed years, and people are recovering taxes they had paid and thought they would never get back."

You can see BuildingBusiness on the firm's Web site, www.grantthornton.com.

Comments on: "Recent Changes Could Help Builders"

April 2014

This Month in Professional Builder

Getting Beyond the Impasse

Outstanding Outdoor Spaces

Taming the Chaos

Designs for First-time Buyers

DIGITAL EDITION
Products

The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD delivers the capability heavy-duty truck customers demand, along with greater refinement and control for more comfort and confidence.

Features

Matt Ivey shares how Ivey Homes found a successful medium between in-house sales and outsourcing.