Remodelers around the country cited increased demand among homeowners for kitchen upgrades in 2014, according to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). With so many homeowners wanting to transform their kitchens into contemporary spaces with simple lines, sufficient storage and space for electronics, it’s important to stay up-to-date on the latest kitchen design and remodeling trends to maintain a competitive edge.
Familiarize yourself with the latest kitchen remodeling trends to differentiate your services during initial consults. This will help you identify opportunities to expand the job scope and suggest on-trend upgrades, while minimizing the time it takes to complete the job. Keep the below sampling of trends top of mind during consults but become acquainted with a multitude of other popular kitchen upgrades by working with The Home Depot’s Kitchen Design experts.
- Think comprehensively: Map out upgrades before getting to work. Encourage clients to select light fixtures and appliances first as these choices will have a big impact on other aspects of the remodel.
- Stay up on styles: Educate clients on the endless paint and primer options, flooring and countertop materials, and the variety of fixtures and finishes available for kitchens today. Clients are reassured knowing that you are informed on what’s trending in every corner of the kitchen.
- Accommodate for tech: With more than half of American adults owning smart phones today, according to the Pew Research Center Internet Project Survey, it’s becoming increasingly popular to incorporate room for tech in the kitchen. Two-thirds of National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) kitchen designers incorporated docking and / or charging stations in kitchens in 2014. Give clients easy access to tech by installing power sources, such as MasterBrand Cabinet’s PowerPod, that bring power to counter areas with electrical sockets and USB ports.
- Maximize cabinet features: Today’s cabinets allow plentiful storage, including pullout trays and customized spots for pots and pans. Maximize efficiency for homeowners and decrease their time spent in the kitchen by rethinking the traditional cabinet. Suggest cabinets with specialized features, including cabinets with pull out wastebaskets and roll out tray dividers from American Woodmark.
- Cut water bills: Many homeowners are seeking to save water but may not know about the latest products to help them make it happen. Educate clients about the advancements in water-saving products and appliances that will also help reduce their water bills.
Kitchen remodeling trends develop and change often in today’s fast-paced business, and it can be difficult to keep up with the latest styles. Stay up to date on what homeowners are demanding in the kitchen to keep doing high-quality work and give yourself an edge over competitors.