In the October issue, we announce the winners of this year’s National Housing Quality Awards: gold award recipients DSLD Homes and EYA, and silver award winner French Brothers.
Planning for Success
Keeping quality people is key to long-term success, but few of the builders who do succession planning go beyond the most senior-level positions.
|Bob Piper, Principal, The Talon Group|
Things to consider:
- Share your plan with your people so they understand your vision and expectations.
- Have a handle on each employee's strengths and developmental needs and share it with each one.
- Realize that some employees are content in their current role. Every company has core associates who enjoy doing a good job as salespeople, customer service representatives or superintendents.
- Anticipate. Changes at the top typically create changes down the line. Be prepared for the ripple effect.
- Adapt. A succession plan is a work in progress. Things change, people change, situations change.
- People stay where they feel appreciated, are paid fairly and have a sense of purpose. The time to make them feel special and important is now.