Currently Reading

California Builders Are Unfazed by Statewide Drought

Advertisement
New-Construction Projects

California Builders Are Unfazed by Statewide Drought

California is struggling to navigate a severe drought, but that doesn't seem to be slowing the pace of new home construction


June 2, 2022
Housing neighborhood in dry landscape from California drought
Image: Stock.adobe.com

California officials have enacted strict regulations on water usage as the state battles another devastating drought, but that doesn’t mean a slowdown in construction is underway, according to the Los Angeles Times. Roughly 80% of water statewide is used for agriculture and the remaining 20% is used for houses and businesses, but rather than using that remaining water efficiently, much is wasted to water lawns, fill pools, and wash sidewalks.

While it may seem contradictory to ramp up residential building in the midst of a drought, experts say remaining water supplies can sustain new construction plans, and combining water savings with combat growth patterns actually benefits more Californians in the long run.

“It’s the first question I’d always get,” said Jeffrey Kightlinger, who until last year ran the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California, the agency that delivers the water ultimately used by half the state’s population. “How in the world are you approving new housing when we’re running out of water?”

The answer, according to Kightlinger and other experts, is that there’s plenty of water available for new Californians if the 60-year trend of residents using less continues and accelerates into the future.

Read more

Related Stories

Environmental

Builders Race to Future-Proof New Residential Development Against Climate Change

New residential projects are employing resilient building techniques to withstand the intensifying effects of climate change in the decades to come

Codes + Standards

Federal Government Announces Initiative to Disaster-Proof Homes

The National Climate Task Force is pushing a federal initiative to fortify and protect homes in extreme weather hotspots across the United States

Environmental

First Street Foundation Helps Homeowners Calculate Wildfire Threat Score

More homes are being destroyed by wildfires than ever before, but risk assessments from the First Street Foundation offer personalized solutions for at-risk properties

Advertisement
Advertisement

More in Category




Advertisement
Advertisement

Create an account

By creating an account, you agree to Pro Builder's terms of service and privacy policy.


Daily Feed Newsletter

Get Pro Builder in your inbox

Each day, Pro Builder's editors assemble the latest breaking industry news, hottest trends, and most relevant research, delivered to your inbox.

Save the stories you care about

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet lorem ipsum dolor sit amet lorem ipsum dolor sit amet.

The bookmark icon allows you to save any story to your account to read it later
Tap it once to save, and tap it again to unsave

It looks like you’re using an ad-blocker!

Pro Builder is an advertisting supported site and we noticed you have ad-blocking enabled in your browser. There are two ways you can keep reading:

Disable your ad-blocker
Disable now
Subscribe to Pro Builder
Subscribe
Already a member? Sign in
Become a Member

Subscribe to Pro Builder for unlimited access

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.