The Reed Residential Group and Reed Research Group annually conduct an extensive study of all builders, remodelers and architectural firms nominated as one of the best companies to work for in the residential construction industry. Our staffs examine the basic information submitted by each nominated company, including average employee tenure, the number of female and minority employees, and group benefits offered. Additionally, each company is asked to provide an employee address list. This list is used to send surveys to a random number of each nominee's employees, who are asked to be forthright in their opinions about their employer. Surveys are sent directly to the employees to protect the respondents' anonymity.
The survey focuses on six high-profile elements of employee satisfaction:
- Recognition and rewards
- Professional development
- Corporate culture
- Personal satisfaction
Key statements posed to employees include:
- I am rewarded fairly for the work I do.
- My company values my contribution.
- My company offers the training and development to help me advance my career.
- Financial information is shared with employees.
- I have a good understanding of the business direction of my company.
- My work environment supports employee well-being, satisfaction and motivation.
- Company goals are regularly communicated to the entire staff.
- My company fosters a family atmosphere.
- Senior leadership understands my role in the company.
For each statement, employees choose one of five responses that range from "agree completely" to "disagree completely" and that are assigned a point value on a five-point scale (1 low, 5 high). All responses from a company's employees are averaged to determine the company's employee satisfaction score, which accounts for two-thirds of its overall score. The company-supplied data such as diversity and benefits account for one-third. A total of 3,175 employees responded to the survey.