Annual program recognizes builders and contractors who push the envelope of energy-efficient home building.
The U.S. Department of Energy recognized 28 builders as leaders in energy-conscious home building during the presentation of its annual Housing Innovation Awards on Sept. 23 in St. Louis.
All winning builders were participants in DOE’s Zero Energy Ready Home program. Homes built under these guidelines feature renewable energy systems that offset all or most of the annual energy consumption. Awards were given in the following categories:
- Amerisips Constructors LLC - Charleston, S.C.
- BPC Green Builders - Wilton, Conn.
- Cobblestone Homes LLC - Saginaw, Mich.
- CVH Inc. - Coupeville, Wash.
- Imery & Co LLC - Athens, Ga.
- John Hubert Associates LLC - Wyncote, Pa.
- One Sky Homes - San Jose, Calif. (Grand Award Winner)
- Promethean Homes LLC - Steeles Tavern, Va.
- Sterling Brook Custom Homes LLC - Double Oak, Texas
- AquaZephyr LLC - Ithaca, N.Y.
- Brookside Development LLC - Woodbridge, Conn.
- Greenhill Contracting Inc. - Esopus, N.Y.
- KB Home - Los Angeles
- M Street Homes LLC - Houston
- Mandalay Homes - Phoenix
- New Town Builders - Denver (Grand Award Winner)
- Caldwell & Johnson Inc. Custom Builders & Remodelers - North Kingstown, R.I.
- Green Extreme Homes CDC & Carl Franklin Homes LC - Lewisville, Texas
- Habitat for Humanity South Sarasota Inc - Venice, Fla.
- Southeast Volusia Habitat for Humanity Inc - New Smyrna Beach, Fla.
- Southern Homes (Clayton) - Double Springs, Ala.
- TC Legend Homes LLC - Bellingham, Wash. (Grand Award Winner)
Zero Energy Ready Leadership
- Palo Duro Homes Inc - Albuquerque, N.M.
- Jerry Wade, Artistic Homes - Albuquerque, N.M.
The Housing Innovation Awards also recognized contractors who have participated in the Home Performance with Energy Star program, which applies a whole-house approach to deliver significant energy savings.
Contractors were recognized in the following categories:
- Customer Relations and Sales & Marketing: Green Energy Improvement, Chicago
- Industry Leadership: Isaac Home Energy Performance, Rochester, N.Y.
- Industry Leadership and Customer Relations: Neil Kelly Home Performance, Portland, Ore.
- Industry Leadership and High Energy Savings: Quality Insulation Installers, Milwaukee, Wis.
The Energy Department's Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy (EERE) works with private industry, universities and national laboratories to accelerate the development and facilitate deployment of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies and market-based solutions that strengthen U.S. energy security, environmental quality, and economic vitality. Visit the Building Technologies Office website to learn more about broader efforts to help new and existing homes across the U.S. achieve cost-effective, energy-saving solutions.