In a report released last week, housing market research firm Metrostudy identified the top 20 master planned communities in Florida based on annual starts. Sumter County’s The Villages took the top spot, showing a rate of 2,607 annual starts in the second quarter. With 35,872 constructed on-site since 2001, it is also the top-selling master planned community in the U.S.
Metrostudy’s report divided the state into six markets: Central Florida; South Florida; Jacksonville; Tampa; Sarasota-Manatee; and Naples-Ft. Myers.
The full list of top 20 master planned communities — along with the Metrostudy market and annual starts of each — is as follows:
1. The Villages, Central Florida — 2,607
2. Monterra, South Florida — 353
3. Nocatee, Jacksonville — 351
4. FishHawk Ranch, Tampa — 261
5. Lakewood Ranch, Sarasota-Manatee — 225
6. Valencia Reserve, South Florida — 219
7. Century Garden, South Florida — 202
8. Durbin Crossing, Jacksonville — 179
9. Independence, Central Florida — 177
10. Wyndham Lakes Estates, Central Florida — 175
11. Live Oak Preserve, Tampa — 164
12. Canyon Trails, South Florida — 157
13. Central Park, Sarasota-Manatee — 156
14. Panther Trace, Tampa — 156
15. Reserve at Blue Lake, South Florida — 150
16. VillageWalk of Bonita Springs, Naples-Ft. Myers — 139
17. Concord Station, Tampa — 139
18. Valencia Lakes, Tampa — 139
19. Eagle Creek, Central Florida — 138
20. Vill of South Solerno, Central Florida — 136
The Central Florida, Tampa, and South Florida markets each sported five communities from the list; Jacksonville and Sarasota-Manatee each had two; and Naples-Ft. Myers had one.
Thirty-five of Florida’s most populated counties were surveyed by Metrostudy for the report; these 35 counties account for 89 percent of all housing units in the state.
To read the rest of the report, click here.
Market Data + Trends
Homebuyer Desperation Is Leading to a Rise in Real Estate Fraud
Real estate scammers are targeting budget-conscious buyers and wreaking havoc on the for-sale market, and experts say the situation could get worse as market dynamics continue to shift
Market Data + Trends
National Home Prices Fell for the Seventh Straight Month in January
U.S. home prices are cooling as interest rates rise, and these metros are seeing the biggest price corrections
US Housing Affordability Is Worse Now Than It Was in 2008
Measurements of housing affordability were worse in December 2022 than at any point leading up to the housing bubble in 2008, but experts say conditions will improve by the end of the year