The wellness real estate market nearly doubled from $148 billion in 2017 to $275 billion in 2020 as a larger share of homeowners adopted health and wellness design features at all price points in both remodels and new builds. Pebble Beach home Villa Bilancia offers one example of green and healthy construction with continuous fresh air, non-toxic materials and products, proper sealing and insulation, cleanable surfaces, and healthy home habits, according to NAHBNow.
Those attending the 2022 International Builders’ Show can learn more about healthy homes like Villa Bilancia by attending the pre-show master education session “Leveraging Health, Wellness & High Performance Solutions to Meet Demand” on Monday, February 7 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Non-toxic materials and products, installation practices and design strategies also influence home health. Examples include:
- Wide-plank flooring with a water-based finish,
- No/low volatile organic chemical (VOC) paints and finishes,
- Appliances were unboxed in the driveway for a day to allow them to off gas before they were installed in the home,
- An induction stovetop, which provides a fast, energy-efficient way to cook and aerosolizes fewer carcinogens,
- A steam oven, which replaces an electromagnetic radiation emitting microwave, and
- A separate ventilation system in the garage to keep chemicals and odors from entering the house.