Consider the following tips and trends when seeking your next paint-related project
As projects continue to roll out of spring and trickle into summer, there isn’t a better time than now to freshen up on the latest paint tips, tricks and recent trends. Regardless of whether the job is small or large, paint has the ability to completely transform any space and staying up to date on the latest trends, tools and technologies will help ensure your team is painting efficiently.
Consider the following tips and trends when seeking your next paint-related project this Spring.
1. Prep the Stage
Preparation is key to starting a new paint job and with the latest technology, planning your next paint-related project can be simple and efficient with the right tools.
- Make sure your canvas is ready to paint by repairing any cracked or damaged areas with the DAP Alex Plus High Performance Spackling Paste. This paste spreads easily for fast, professional repairs that will not sink, shrink or crack.
- Cover and protect windows, doors and molding with the 3M hand-masker dispenser. This two-in-one dispenser applies painter’s tape and film in one continuous application, making it four to five times faster than a paper or poly method.
- Use a primer for a uniform, brilliant and durable paint job. Now, primers feature integrated odor- and mold-killing agents. When applied, these reinforced primers offset smells from pets, smokers, mildew or other unpleasant smells that may have seeped into the wood over time, which is particularly useful for older properties.
2. Pick Your Canvas
Paint is a great opportunity for pros to also use their imagination and serve as a trusted, creative resource for clients who are unsure of their optimal look. During the consultation process, ask your clients what feeling and energy they would like for each renovated room or component.
Brands like BEHR have made it easy with their interactive guide of trendy shades for the year, helping you start the conversation and provide valuable creative insight. The annual Color Currents collection features 20 limited edition colors that are interchangeable for every space, and offer “composed,” “comfortable” and “confident” color buckets to match a variety of room styles. For example, the comfortable palette features muted pastels like “Peek a Blue” and “Life is a Peach” for a sophisticated, feminine feel, while the confident palette features adventurous, bold colors like “Jade Dragon” and “Fired Up” for accent walls and other dramatic points.
3. Consider & Choose
When choosing the best type of paint, consider the following:
- Location: Think through the location first. For a full-scale paint job in a prominent area of the home, choose a top quality option like BEHR’s Marquee brand. This versatile paint requires one coat and provides advanced dirt and fade protection, preventing the need for follow-up applications and return trips to the property. For smaller jobs and touch up work, choose a more budget-friendly option like BEHR Premium Plus, which seals both uncoated and previously painted surfaces to create a finish that resists mildew, stains and moisture.
- Safety: Another factor when deciding on paint is safety. Clients, especially those with children, may have questions about the environmental safety of paint, such as Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) levels. According to the EPA, VOCs include chemicals that may have adverse health effects. The good news is that all of The Home Depot’s latex-based paints are low- or zero-VOC, and ensure healthy indoor air quality for homeowners and their families.
4. Paint with Tech
The Home Depot’s Project Color app allows you to take a picture of a room and virtually review different looks with your client, making the consultation process simple. If he or she has a specific shade in mind, the app also allows you to extract colors from a saved photo and identify a corresponding paint product to ensure it matches your client’s vision. Coming out of your consultation, bring your “sample room” into any Home Depot store and the paint team will prepare every needed color.
The Home Depot now offers in-store digital matching technology that can duplicate any color – no matter the brand. This is a great resource for touch up projects that require exact color matching. Stores also record all paint colors purchased for PRO Xtra members, so you can conveniently replenish supplies for the current job or revisit older jobs at any location.
The Home Depot has upgraded its paint offerings and services to make the evaluation and purchasing process more convenient. More than 200 stores now include a BEHR Pro Paint Specialist dedicated to answering your questions and ensuring you receive the right products and guidance for your needs.
For orders over 24 gallons, The Home Depot will deliver directly to the job site, easing transportation and logistics concerns while improving order accuracy.
It is a one-stop shop where you can purchase all your supplies in one place, choosing from a variety of top brands in everything from paint supplies to hardware to tools.
Staying on top of the latest paint trends will make your next paint project successful, but having the right tools and practices in mind will take it a step further. From new technology to premium primers, these updates are essential to ensuring your execution matches your client’s vision.