Quality, criteria and requirements apply everywhere even when considering tablets, hardware and software.
Overall requirements to consider:
Wi Fi or 3G, Speed and Offline
REVIEW & MARK UP
Finger, pen or both
Ease, compression, multiple images
Speed, simplicity, reliability, offline
Tracking, follow ups, reminders, priorities, live knowledge capture
Record size and compression, versioning
Other considerations include:
· Integrated software
· Simple (intuitive)
· Fast (fewer clicks the better)
· Efficient (what fits on the screen)
· Mobile (rugged) Things you need to do in the field while on the move:
· Learn the good and the bad (about both hardware and software0
· Versatile (touch or write or both – can this be done in the cold, with gloves on)
· Compact (screen size & weight)
· Cost effective (best value)
Finally, of course use PDCA.
Plan for what you want, get input from other builders and your field and office staff on what they need, want and desire.
Detail what they actually do. Then before translating to the new system IMPROVE IT!
Pilot the product and change over before making a decision.
Then get feedback on what works and doesn’t so you can make adjustments.
(Data from Brian Palmquist, Auditing at the Edge, ASQ Audit Division Conference, 2011)